After renewed audits of its services, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin was again awarded the certificate 'family-friendly employer' (audit familiengerechte hochschule®) and the certificate 'family-friendly university' (audit berufundfamilie®) in June 2020.
You are here:
Balancing work/study and family life
Our staff and students produce outstanding work. Being able to find a balance between work/study and family life is of crucial importance to all staff and students with long-term caring responsibilities - whether they are caring for children or other relatives. Aware of the importance of a healthy work-life balance, the Executive Board embarked on a new path in 2007, which is aimed at becoming a more family-friendly organization. By doing so, the Executive board committed the organization to reauditing as part of the 'family-friendly employer' and a 'family-friendly university' audits.
In June 2020, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin was again awarded the certificate 'family-friendly university' (audit familiengerechte hochschule® and audit berufundfamilie®).
As part of its preparation for reauditing in 2023, Charité is determined to continue implementing measures aimed at supporting members of staff and students. These include:
- Topic integration into the strategic realignment of the Charité
- Family justice in marketing
- Work independent of workplace
- More flexible working hours
- Integration of compatibility support models
- Support of employees and students with relatives in need of care
- Family friendliness as a management responsibility
- Further development of the "FAMiLY AWARD" competition
Members of the Steering Committee
- Fr. Astrid Lurati / Director of Finance and Infrastructure (chairwoman "family friendliness at Charité")
- Hr. Dr. Magnus Rüde / Supervisory Board Headquarters (head of the topic "family friendliness")
- Sabine Barleben / Family-friendly Charité Coordinating Office
- Judith Heepe / Director of Nursing
- Dr. Jan-Steffen Jürgensen / Chair of the Advisory Board
- Prof. Dr. Pries / Dean
- Christof-Martin Schmitt / Head of Legal Services and HR
- Jens Steinbrink / Head of Corporate Development
Aim of reauditing
By committing to the reauditing process, Charité is honoring its 2007 pledge to strive for a more family-friendly work environment for its staff. Through an awareness-raising campaign and the implementation of concrete measures, Charité aims to achieve a shift in culture regarding the need for, and communication of, family-friendly options for staff and students. In this respect, the term 'family' is defined as encompassing all parents/carers or single parents/carers with children (biological or non-biological), as well as all staff and students with caring responsibilities for adult dependents. Aside from measures aimed at improving the availability of flexible working arrangements and access to childcare facilities, the next three years will also see the newly-launched Office of Family Affairs embark on a comprehensive information and communication campaign which is aimed at raising awareness of the principles of family-friendly management. As one of the largest university hospitals in Europe, Charité is committed to maintaining its position as a role model for family-friendly practices.