During parental leave / Keeping in touch
Part-time work during the parental leave period, training courses, holiday and sickness cover – whatever you decide to do, it is important that you keep in contact with your colleagues and your manager throughout your absence.
Parental leave can offer an opportunity to hone your expertise and work on professional development – if that is something you would like to do. Please find important information on these issues below, and use the documents provided for download to explore your options.
You are here:
- Do try to keep in touch with people at work throughout your absence. Please find suggestions and ideas on how to do this here.
- Ensure that you request a meeting with your manager three months before you intend to return to work.
- Should you wish to return to work before the end of your official parental leave period, you will need to submit your request to do so to your manager.
- If you would like to work part-time during the first few months or years after the birth of your child, you should submit your request to do so to your manager three months before your intended return to work.
- Parental leave period, the 'Elterngeld' parental allowance and 'ElterngeldPlus' (since 1 July 2015)
- Since July 2015, new parents are entitled to 'ElterngeldPlus', a new parental allowance, which provides a number of benefits.
- For further information and to download the relevant brochure, please go to Information/Downloads.
Keeping in touch – services available to staff
- Enjoy access to the intranet, and access to emails
- Receive news and information about your department/division (and Charité) by email
- Receive an electronic copy of the 'Charité am Puls' staff newspaper
- Arrange a face-to-face meeting
- Receive invitations to team events (Christmas party, office outing, etc.)
- Receive invitations to Charité-wide events (New Year Reception, staff celebration, etc.)
- Enjoy the option of working part-time during your family leave period, e.g. as critical care cover, or by entering into a separate agreement to provide holiday and sickness cover
- Take part in further or continuing education events and training courses
- If 'Patenmodell' mentoring is available: establish contact with your mentor/mentee